30 May 2011

A day at the Beech.


On Sunday, we went to the Beech. Beech Mountain, that is. Not to be mistaken as Beach Mountain, which got my hopes up entirely. I halfway expected to see a sandy shoreline and seagulls on top of the hill. Okay, I'm not that naive. There was water, but in the form of rain. We didn't let that disappoint, though. I love a good spring shower. They don't last very long, and they cool everything down. We sat under a big umbrella, listened to the pitter patter of the raindrops...and ate birthday cake flavored ice cream from Fred's general store. Let me just tell you that rain is so much better than snow. Speaking of which, do you see the snow gage in the 5th photo? 2009-2010 hit the top line in total inches. Judging from Bud's face, yeah.. we don't wanna talk about it, haha.

On our way to Beech Mtn, we passed the Banner Elk Herb Festival. We saw putt putt, a dunking booth, funnel cakes, and craft stands so we had to stop.

We also drove to the top of the ski slopes. Instead of layers of fresh powder, a rusty ski lift ran along a deserted field of buttercups and dandelions. I made an early birthday wish, and then we headed back down. What a wonderful day! And did I mention the pretty sunset that night? Hot pink clouds. So very beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment